сряда, 25 юли 2012 г.

Таня Кольовска / Tanya Kolyovska


Tanya Kolyovska was born in Sofia. After she graduated from the Sofia University, she has been working as a freelance journalist and translator.

Her first book of poems Elusive Light was published in 1988. In 1997 her second book Bird’s Compassion came out, followed by The Bottom of the Hat (1998) and Farther on Try Alone (2004). She has been awarded the Antonietta Drago Grand Prize at an All-European Poetry Contest in Rome.

Even though for the time being she is mainly translating (one of her latest translations is the best selling book Gomorra by Roberto Saviani), when she does put down verse, in the words of Kristin Dimitrova, “Kolyovska’s poems make you bleed, but they do not allow for whining”.




ITALY

The cypresses,
ah, the cypresses –
slender shadows
of radiant souls.




         * * *

When autumn smiles,
the rains
will hush up right away,
and in the very
corner of the eye
the gentle profile
of blood that won’t be shed
will be reflected.




OCTOBER

Across a well of autumn rays
the street sets out
for the sky.
The trees flow down molten.
Homeless dogs
warm the sidewalk.
The shadows vanish.




ORGAN

With austere pipes
God plays
His melody.
His back turned to the audience.




APRIL

Entered into spring
the trees
do not set feet
upon the earth.




       * * *

The old woman
I buy flowers from
every year
throughout the years….
Like a dry tiny blade of grass
she sways gently in the garden –
larger and larger,
amidst flowers –
taller and taller,
waiting for me –
every year
throughout the years.




        * * *

Perhaps it really is
time to go.
I bow.
I bow.
I bow.
My back is upright
and my neck is smooth.




        * * *

Men don’t bestow me
with memories somehow.
Assiduous, obedient,
devoted.
Counterclockwise.
That’s how
they implement the sentiment:
befuddled fantasies and efforts.
I know sand:
the grains are not worth counting.




        For K.

The suggestive curve
of a cat’s back.
Sheerly guarded
distances.
My sunlit
quiet expanse—
how laughably
conquered empires.




          * * *

Children
with eyes like wastelands
in scraped out faces, swirled
away from our innocence,
in the outskirts of the world.
What kind of random optimism
could lend a reason that consoles?
Children
with eyes like deserts
search our souls.




TURKEY-COCK DANCE

Carmen looks like a little old wife
now used to what comes in her life.
But her turkey mate stomps,
he’ll split the earth
because that’s the way he makes love.
His wing cuts the thick air,
the blood bubbles red in his wattles.
A few feathers, detached and unaware,
spot the knife being whetted.




                * * *

The sun and the little old woman
hunchbacked
walk down the path
towards me.
I can store them
as a memory
the sun and the old woman.
I am but a visitor.




STREET MUSICIAN

Turned loose,
the fingers draw out
a straightforward declaration of love
and the lips fiddle away
moist tenderness—
while shame lurks sleeping
at the bottom of the hat.




LIKE THIS

Like this:
with my living
with my dead
and the raindrops behind the windowpane.

So:
charged with decency and force
not becoming worse.

For long:
in the quiet understanding
of our cautious feelings.




TRIPTYCH

For Krassi


1

The rainbow loses
all stability
hurled belly down.

2

The street was expressive –
with shades in the eyes
and the splashed about skies.

3

A talking olive tree.




           * * *


A sound from someone else’s song—
a sign my own shall make its mark.
Birds like ashes.
Autumn.
Husky dark.




A WINK

To those who
love me,
I dedicate
my immortality.
(It’s delightful to perform
miracles
when there are
onlookers.)




MAGIC

Only fall and I can manage
Being beautiful and ageing.



© Tanya Kolyovska
© Translated from the Bulgarian by Valentin Krustev

Няма коментари: